Friday, September 3, 2010

Apple Pies and Apple Muffins

Left to right, counter clock-wise: Apple Pie, Apple Streusel Pie and Apple Muffins
Happy September!!!
I have been in a baking mood lately, and since I still had sooo many apples on my apple trees, only one answer echoed in my mind: apple pie.  This famous, and irresistible pastry filled with warm, cinnamony sliced apples is love and comfort. The flaky crust is perfect and oh-so-easy to make; justifying the saying, "as easy as making pie." The filling was the same recipe that I used in my Pleasurably Blissful Cheescake recipe. I had left over filling and enough dough for one crust so I also made an Apple Streusel Pie.
Also, I still had many apples left, so I diced them up, candied them, and made muffins. I am such an apple freak lol.

Apple Pie

Oh-So-Easy Flaky Crust
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup butter
5 tbsp or more of cold water

In a food processor, pulse together flour and salt. Add in shortening and butter and pulse until flour and fat resemble course crumbs. Slowly add in water and pulse until mixture is moist enough to form a firm ball.
On a floured surface, remove dough, and knead once and divide into two balls, one being slightly smaller than the other.
With a floured rolling pin, roll the bigger circle onto the pin and lay onto a 9 inch pie pan.
Add in filling. Brush edges of pie crust with water or milk and drape other dough onto the pie, remember to add slits or cut out a small whole to let steam out. Or, you can also cut the top circle into strips and weave them onto the pie. Crimp edges and brush top with a mixture of milk and sugar or a beaten egg to form a nice wash (I sprinkled some brown sugar on mine).
Bake in an oven at 300 degrees Celsius for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and let cool for 15 minutes.
Serve with ice cream for extra indulgence!!

Process of Apple Pie

0 comments:

Post a Comment