Sunday, May 29, 2011

BBQ Day 2 (because I forgot to take photos for Day 1)

My Portabella Burger Deluxe
Summer is finally here, where I live, and what I love more than cooking for the family is grilling for the family. My dad use to always work the grill but I have insisted on taking over because I am a food-nerd and I like to experiment with my food. The first day we started barbecuing, we had steak marinated in a sesame and soy sauce dressing, jumbo prawns in a spicy garlic marinade, grilled corn on the cob with peppered butter, mushrooms and whole mini zucchinis with garlic butter and a Caesar salad. I forgot to take photos, so you will have to imagine what the meal looked like lol.

Today, we chose to have burgers and being the foodie I am, I insisted (I do a lot of "insisting" lol) on making our own burger patties (so that I could customize lol). My gourmet burgers consisted of lean ground beef, chopped mushrooms, chopped onions and cooked, quinoa. I mixed it all up with some salt and pepper, two eggs and I added a splash of BBQ sauce. Patted them into patties, and placed in the fridge until ready to grill.
Other accompaniments included whole eggplants-skewered, sliced zucchinis-skewered, button mushrooms, halved-skewered, and a zesty, fresh Thai slaw, not skewered (recipe courtesy of Kraft Magazine). I added 2 tsp sesame oil and 2 tsp chili sauce to the dressing mix for an extra kick while substituting roasted peanuts for the cashews because I didn't have any on hand. It was awesome!
For the veggie freak (me), I grilled up a portabello mushroom cap with bbq sauce to make myself a deluxe veggie burger with Swiss cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and Miracle Whip. Yum, yum, yum!!
Can't wait for the next time to grill! I seriously need one of those cheeky BBQ aprons lol.

Fresh Vegetables for the WIN.
Patties and some kebabs on the grill

ME!
  



Patties made with mushrooms, onions, quinoa and lean beef ground.
Burger toppings and condiments.
Thai Slaw
  
My mom and fresh fruit


0 comments:

Post a Comment